Thursday, June 16, 2011

Operation Fruits and Veggies

With the great Garden Reformation at an end, I can turn my attention to other areas of the yard. On Sunday the vegetable bed was planted by my boyfriend:



Here's a close up:


From left to right, clockwise:
Roma tomato, red potato (rhyming!) from potatoes my grandfather gave my friend, green bell pepper (already forming!), and pickling cucumbers. There are also two bushes of Early Girl tomatoes.


I am now babysitting this bed for the summer. It got a healthy dose of water today, while I was photographing, in preparation of tomorrow's predicted high of 70 degrees Fahrenheit.


The strawberries are looking great! And they will be joined by cilantro and green onions in their bed. :)






The property also has other opportunities for harvest, such as these three blueberry bushes:

Notice the large lemon verbena in the middle!



Last year's crop was amazing despite the awful growing season. This year I did not think we would have a lot of blueberries and did not notice as many blooms, but they are surprising me. The berries look good.


 On the west side of the house are three apple trees and one pear. 
Don't ask what varieties - I have no clue! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment